On the west side of Lilac Street across from the Inn is a marker memorializing Colonel Gilbert Christian (1734-1793.) “First permanent settler in Kingsport. Early settlement attempt in 1761; permanent settlement in 1775. The first town in the Kingsport area was laid out on his land grant in 1802 and was named Christianville. American Revolution Patriot.” This marker was placed by the Long Island Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, on July 4, 1976.