The Old Schoolhouse is described in an on-site plaque as “an Ordinary (inn) – home – schoolhouse, built by 1790.” The description continues: “By 1790, David Ross’ Ordinary at the junction of the Great Stage Road (Bloomingdale Pike) and Reedy Creek Road (W. Sullivan Street); 1795 leased home/inn of sheriff William & Nancy McCormack; 1817, owned by Jacob and Rose Myers; 1854, owners Draper, then Kendrick; 1878 Prof. “Hawk” & Ellen (Groseclose) Copenhaver home & school; 1892 section of well-known merchant Thomas L. Nelms family home; restored at this location 1986; originally a two-story building, only enough logs survived to preserve one story. Its small dependency was moved intact.” Preservationist: H.T. Spoden, P.E. Donors: Bldg. & Funds John & Margaret (Nelms) Wimberly; Major Kingsport City grant; roof funded in honor of Vurl Hammond; chimney stones, originally Rotherwood II front steps, donated by Dr. Lenita Thibault.